Design Specialist I, II, & Sr.
Controls and/or Service
Department Manager or Supervisor
- Level 1 – Must be able to achieve many objectives of this Requires some amount of timely supervision to ensure the proper tasks are being accomplished and that communication is adequate, timely, in the correct manner (i.e. verbal, written, email, etc.)
- Level 2 - Consistently achieves all of the objectives of this This individual also provides mentoring and direct day-to-day supervision to level 1 positions.
- Senior - Highly experienced in the Advanced awareness of the technical needs of both the controls system programming, integration to other systems, and very sophisticated HVAC strategies if working in the control field. May act as a lead to assist others on very complex project tasks. Also provides mentoring and direct supervision when required on projects.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design Controls projects to meet scope of work and budget as defined by contract documents and sales estimate ensuring equipment compatibility.
- Provide detailed sequence of operations.
- Provide AutoCAD labor and direction as required to complete submittals and other engineered drawings accurately and professionally.
- Interpret project documents, estimate, and other information as available to select the proper equipment to achieve the scope of work required in the most economical and functional manner.
- Accurately forecast necessary labor required to engineer a complete project and track this over time to achieve budget and forecast goals.
- Recommend technical solutions to sales and constantly research outside purchase products.
- Provide support to Climatec and other contractors to solve building operating issues that go beyond the controls operation.
- Communicate with internal employees as required to ensure engineering is accurate and timely.
- Provide input to others as requested or required to assist in the accurate estimation, value engineering, design, installation, start up, commissioning, and training for building systems.
- Communicate with external organizations as required such as consulting engineers, building owners, and other contractors to ensure accurate and timely engineering.
- Provide support for ongoing service engineering and support for existing building systems.
- Complete Bill of Material for every project.
- Suggest/recommend new products that provide better functionality and value to projects.
- Generate Request for Information (RFIs) to clarify design issues and recommend appropriate solutions as necessary.
- Assist Sales team during estimation/bid phase of the project by providing design support.
- As assigned develop and maintain a library of engineering standards for both Climatec and the industry.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of high school diploma.
- Two year technical degree in HVAC or Electronics related studies An undergraduate degree in Electrical or Mechanical related studies is excellent.
- Other technical experience such as military, on the job training programs, may meet this requirement as determined by local management.
- Experience and expertise including but not limited to:
- An understanding of basic computer systems including MS Office Suite of products.
- The ability to configure and debug basic computer problems.
- Some experience with programming.
- A clear ability to work with electronic equipment such as volt meters, amp meters, oscilloscopes, etc.
- The ability to troubleshoot basic electric and electronic circuitry including reading and interpreting electrical and electronic diagrams.
- A working understanding of AC power circuitry including breakers, multi-phase power, (120VAC and greater).
- Clear and concise ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- An ability to understand empathetically the issues and perceptions others have and to creatively and successfully work through these issues to achieve a successful outcome and customer and employee satisfaction.
- A thorough understanding of HVAC operations within a facility if working in the controls field. If working in the Special Systems division, an understanding of NFPA and other related fire and life safety codes is beneficial.
- Level 2 and Senior Design Specialists have a very deep understanding of the DDC that control They also understand the other systems involved in the mechanical and electrical portions of building controls.
- Level 2 and Senior Design Specialist also have the experience to provide extensive integration support for a multitude of building systems.
- Be able to lift and carry drawings, personal computers, material, etc.
- Maintain a satisfactory driving record which, per Climatec’s vehicle policy, allows the individual to drive a company vehicle.
- Be able to spend a significant amount of time sitting.
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401K w/ company match
- Paid Vacation/Sick/Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Pet Insurance